Materi soal latihan ulangan mata pelajaran bahasa inggris tahun pelajaran 2016/2017 untuk tingkat SMP sebagai bahan percobaan untuk menghadapi ujian nasional. Soal latihan ini bisa adik-adik pelajari agar menjadi lebih lancar dalam berbahasa inggris.
Read the text to answer questions 1 and 2
Dear Mr. Umar,
I am writing to request a 4 day leave of absence for my son, Robby Ihsan from school, as
we have arranged to attend a wedding at the other side of the country, and need
considerable time to make the journey. Ordinary we would not take Robby out of school
for such a function, but we do not have anybody capable of looking after him while we
We have told Robby that he can complete any school work provided during the trip, and
if needed he will catch up with anything missed when he returns.
1. What is the writer’s intention to write the text above?
A. To inform a considerable time for attending the wedding party.
B. To ask a permission for Robby Ihsan not to complete any school work.
C. To ask for a request of a 3 day leave of absence for Robby Ihsan from school.
D. To show an absence of Robby Ihsan to attend the party at the other side of country.
2. Why do Robby’s parents take Robby to the wedding party?
A. Nobody is very capable of helping Robby’s school work.
B. Nobody can look after Robby while they are away.
C. Robby Ihsan can finish his school work on time.
D. Robby Ihsan can catch up anything missed.
Read the text to answer questions 3 to 5.
3. What is the writer’s purpose of writing the text above?
A. To show After School Programs to the parents.
B. To tell all day students’ activities after school hours.
C. To inform all the students about After School Program.
D. To persuade students’ parents to join After School Program.
4. After School Program is a … program for all students.
5. “The After School Program is a great place to hang out with your friends …”.
The underlined words mean ….
A. spend time
B. take a place
C. waste money
D. work together
Read the text to answer questions 6 to 8.
Mita, sorry I can’t come to your house tonight to do the wall
magazine project as we have planned. My grandmother has just
come and she wants me to accompany her to my aunt’s house. I
will meet you at school tomorrow.
6. From the text, we can conclude that Dinda is Mita’s ….
7. Dinda wrote the message to ….
A. remind Mita to finish the project at her house
B. ask Mita to come to her aunt’s house with her
C. apologize for her absence of doing the project
D. tell her grandma’s attendance to her house
8. What will Mita likely do after reading the message?
A. Come to Dinda’s house to do the project.
B. Reply the message and ask her to take care.
C. Accompany Dinda to her grandma’s house.
D. Come to school to meet Dinda as soon as possible.
Read the text to answer questions 9 to 11.
Passengers planning to drive and park at this place should be
aware of several changes due to construction at the flight
terminal. Short term parking is available in new parking lot the
west end of the terminal.
9. Where do usually you find the text above?
C. Bus station.
D. Railway station.
10. What will the readers do after reading the text above?
A. They will park in lot of the west.
B. The readers will park at the airport.
C. The readers will drive at the airport.
D. They will be aware of several changes.
11. Passengers planning to drive and park at the airport should be aware of several changes
… construction at the terminal.
The correct word to fill in the blank is….
A. because of
Read the text to answer questions 12 and 13.
12. The text is mainly written to ….
A. request Jason’s friends to go swimming together
B. tell Jason’s friends to celebrate his birthday party
C. invite Jason’s friends to come to her birthday party
D. inform a preparation of celebrating a birthday party
13. What do you think the writer wants the readers to do after reading the text?
A. Attend Jason’s invitation to go swimming at his house.
B. Join the hard swimming training at Jason’s house.
C. Come to Jason’s house to celebrate his birthday.
D. Prepare the program of Jason’s birthday party.
Read the text to answer questions 14 to 16.
Date Listed 10-Sep-16
Address Winnipeg, MB R2N 3X7, Canada
We are selling our TV stand and two matching towers. These were purchased a year ago and used as basement furniture. Unfortunately, we have to sell because we are moving out of the province and won’t be needing these anymore… Modern black with frosted glass shelves. Excellent condition as we never even went in our basement the entire time we’ve owned this unit! This entertainment unit is perfect for any man cave
or Rec room.
Asking $250 obo.
We are located in Ste. Anne but are willing to deliver for a small fee.
14. The writer writes the text in order to ….
A. tell the readers that he had moved to the new house.
B. sell TV stands and two matching towers to the readers.
C. inform the readers about how to select a good TV stand.
D. explain the use of having TV stand and 2 matching towers.
15. Why were TV stand and 2 matching towers sold by the writer?
A. The writer had problems on TV.
B. The writer used the different types.
C. The writer needed the new properties.
D. The writer moved out of the province.
16. “These were purchased a year ago and used as basement furniture.”
The underlined word is closest in meaning to ….
Read the text to answer questions 17 to 19.
17. The above advertisement will be interesting for those who….
A. want to spend their holiday
B. like to have a formal meeting
C. need to take a long rest in peace
D. like to enjoy the hustle and bustle
18. What does the text focus on?
A. An amazing capital.
B. Tour package to Island.
C. SUMMARECEQ 3 star hotel.
D. Enjoying wonderful country
19. The word “sightseeing” in the text is closest in meaning to ….
Read the text to answer questions 20 to 22.
20. By reading the above text, the readers will notice….
A. what they should do in side effect problems
B. when the product is forbidden to use
C. where to store the product safely
D. Where the product is sold
21. The text tells us that we must not consume the supplement after …
A. 10th of April 2004
B. 2nd of February 2004
C. 27th of April 2010
D. 9th of February 2010
22. “Daily value has not been established.”
The underlined word is closest in meaning to….
Read the text to answer questions 23 to 25.
23. The recipient of the card ….
A. has a wonderful life
B. defeats all his enemies
C. achieves something great
D. gets something surprising
24. The card is sent to show that the sender wants to ….
A. share the recipient’s happiness
B. show that success is not easy to get
C. wish he recipient get the best in his/her life
D. say that it is importat to be a successful person
25. “Sending Lovely Flowers your way to congratulate You on your Success!!
The underlined word is closest in meaning to….
Read the text to answer questions 26 to 29.
26. The text mostly talk about the writer’s ….
A. favorite interests to do with friends
B. favorite place to visit, Shadow Fort
C. unforgettable story of Shadow Fort
D. nice experience to hang out at Fort
27. On the second paragraph, the writer describes about ….
A. the roof of the room
B. the pantry at the back
C. the height of the room
D. the room for kids at Fort
28. After reading the text above, the writer really hopes that the readers will likely ….
A. have a clear understanding about Shadow Fort
B. be much interested to go to the Shadow Fort
C. know much how to reach the Shadow Fort
D. know the reasons why the Fort is famous
29. “Later we named it Shadow Fort because it sits in a shady area.” (paragraph 3)
The underlined word refers to ….
B. shady area
C. Shadow Fort
D. powerful rain
Read the text to answer questions 30 to 32.
Yesterday my family went to the zoo to see the elephant. When we got to the zoo, we went to the shop to buy some food to give to the animals.
After getting the food we went to the nocturnal house where we saw birds and reptiles which only come out at night.
Before lunch we went for a ride on the elephant. It was a thrill to ride it. Dad nearly fell off when he let go of the rope.
During lunch we fed some birds in the park. In the afternoon we saw the animals being fed.
When we returned home we were tired but happy because we had so much fun.
30. What does the writer expect the readers get after reading the text above?
A. The readers can participate to keep animals well.
B. The readers will have more knowledge about animals.
C. The readers will get an experience about a trip to the zoo.
D. The readers know much the writer’s sharing to visit the zoo.
31. Why did the writer and his family feel very tired after having a trip to the zoo?
A. They had to visit many places in the zoo.
B. They took a long time to reach the zoo area.
C. They had to feed a lot of animals in the zoo.
D. They had no time to take a rest in the zoo.
32. … our family felt tired after visiting the zoo, we were still happy.
Read the text to answer questions 33 to 36.
- Prepare your fruits and vegetables by washing them thoroughly and peeling off those that need the skin removed.
- Your juicer features an extra wide chute and thus most fruits and vegetables such as apples, carrots, beats, celery and others will not need to be cut into smaller pieces since they fit in the chute.
- Make sure your juice extractor is properly assembled. Please follow the instructions.
- Ensure the juice extractor and its accessories are clean by following the cleaning and maintenance section of this manual.
- Place the jar or any other container/glass you may wish to use to collect the juice under the spout and make sure the pulp collector is in place prior to begin juicing. Do not allow the pulp collector container to overfill as this may cause the unit to stall.
- Plug the power cord into an electrical outlet and turn the power on “I.”
- Once the juicer is on, place the fruits and vegetables on the food chute and use the food pusher slowly to drive them down. In order to extract the maximum amount of juice, it is important to push the food pusher slowly.
- The juice extractor will separate the juice and the pulp in the jar and pulp Collector while you are juicing.
33. The purpose of the writer in writing the passage is to ….
A. tell us how to operate instructions of juice extractor
B. inform us the way to separate the juice and the pulp
C. describe good fruits and vegetables for juicing
D. show how to start the instructions of juicing
34. Why is it important to push the food pusher slowly?
A. To drive fruits and vegetables down well.
B. To extract the maximum amount of juice.
C. To separate the juice and the pulp in the jar.
D. To make fruits and vegetables good and fresh.
35. What should we do before placing the fruits and the vegetables on the food chute?
A. Turn the power off.
B. Use the food pusher.
C. Separate juice skin.
D. Turn the power on.
36. “…to be cut into smaller pieces since they fit in the chute.” (instruction 2)
The underlined word refers to ….
C. smaller pieces
D. fruits and vegetables
Read the text to answer questions 37 to 40.
A man had to go on a long travel. He hid his money in a pot and put butter over it. So nobody could see what was there under the butter in the pot.
Then he took the pot to his neighbour and said,”Please keep this pot of butter for me till I come back.” He did not say anything about the money in the pot.
A month passed. Two months passed. But the traveller did not come back. His neighbour thought, “I’m afraid he butter in the pot is bad.” And he took all the butter out of the pot and saw money there.
He took the money for himself and put many small stones into the pot in the place of money. When the traveller came back, he asked his neighbour for the pot. He carried it home and took out all the butter. He wanted to take the money. But he found only many small stones under the butter. He was very angry. Then one of his friends came to see him. “You look angry, my friend! Why are you angry?” asked his friend.
“Oh, I am a silly man!” And he told his friend the story about the pot of butter, the money and the small stones. “Well, I can show you how to get your money back. Let us go to the forest.” And the two friends went to the forest, caught a monkey there and brought it home. “Now you go to your neighbour and say, “Please let your son come with me to the market”. “He can help me to carry food from the market”.
The man did so. The neighbour sent his son to the man. But they did not go to the market. The man went home with the neighbour’s son and locked the boy in his house.
The friend said,”Now go to your neighbour with the monkey and say: “Here is your son.” The man did so. The neighbour was very angry. “Take the monkey away and bring back my son!” he said. “Why, this is your son! If money can turn into small stones then a boy can turn into a monkey.”
The neighbour understood everything. He brought the money and the man let the
boy go back to his father.
37. The story is about a traveler and his … neighbour.
38. What was the man’s problem?
A. He lost his butter’s pot.
B. The neighbour took his money.
C. The butter in his pot was bad.
D. His son became a monkey.
39. How did the man do to repay his neighbour’s mistakes?
A. Took his son and changed it with a monkey.
B. Changed the bad butter with some stones.
C. Sent his son to the market.
D. Took away his money.
40. “Why, this is your son! If money can turn into small stones then a boy can turn into a
The man wants to say that what the neighbour did was ….
Read the following ads to answer questions 41 to 44.
41. What is the main topic of the text above?
A. Earthquake in general.
B. Earthquake cause.
C. Earthquake power.
D. Earthquake effects.
42. The third paragraph explains about ….
A. World War II which happened after earthquake
B. little damage caused by smaller frequent earthquakes
C. the magnitude of earthquake caused by the heavy waves
D. the energy that comes from the magnitude of the earthquake
43. The amplitude of the seismic waves recorded on seismograph determines ….
A. some energy released
B. 10.000 atomic bombs
C. magnitude of the earthquake
D. the rock breaks and moves
44. The report of the earthquake above will likely attract the attention of ….
A. people who live in a sensitive and disturbed area of earthquake
B. some teachers who are teaching their students at a big school
C. policemen who are working to watch some high buildings
D. some people who live near the beaches and the mountains
Read the text to answer questions 45 to 47.
45. What is the purpose of writing the text above?
A. To explain how ant finds and stores food.
B. To tell us how the ant’s body is made up.
C. To classify ants into three different kinds.
D. To give a general information about ant.
46. What made an ant’s antennae different from the other animals’ antennae?
A. They are only used by the ant to communicate with other ants nearby.
B. They allow the ant to hear, taste, touch and smell something around.
C. They have more than 4 different senses to do for something around .
D. They are used solely for touching the other ants as a communicaton.
47. “Ants are social insects and most live in colonies…” (in paragraph 1)
What does the sentence above mean?
A. Ants live with other insects.
B. Ants need much food to live.
C. Ants live without other helps.
D. Ants need the other ants to live.
Read the following ads to answer questions 48 to 50.
48. The story is about … bear and a rabbit.
A. a family
B. a young
C. a greedy
D. a mother
49. How was the characteristic of the bear?
A. He was kind but stingy.
B. He was tricky and stingy.
C. He was greedy and anger.
D. He was courageous andsmart.
50. “He consented and went with the bear and shot enough buffalo to satisfy the hungry
The underlined word is closest in meaning to ….
Selamat belajar yah adik-adik semoga materi soal bahasa inggris untuk ujian nasional dapat bermanfaat buat adik-adik dan jangan lupa share ke teman-teman. Sumber https://www.zonasoal.com/